Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Cup Animals for World Turtle Day!

I just had to stay up late tonight to blog about our latest creations! Tomorrow is World Turtle Day (23rd May). The aim of the day is to promote respect for turtles (and tortoises) globally, and to encourage humans to behave in a way that helps these special creatures survive and thrive.

I wanted to get a craft ready to do with my daughter - she loves animals and I am anticipating that it will be 'all things turtle' for the next week or so after I tell her about World Turtle Day.

So it started with a turtle - and you can see how it turned out. Clearly you may be starting to guess that I don't do things by halves... he he he.

These 'Cup Animals' are so simple and so effective. I have included a colour set and a black/white set in the file, so that your little ones can paint or colour.

Start with empty clean foam cups. Paint them - I used student acrylics. It gave the cups a little bit of a glossy finish.

Cut out the pieces from the templates provided - colour if necessary. Cut small slits in the top and sides of your cup to allow your pieces to slide in. Too easy - no glue, no mess!

We have provided templates for little 'writing cards' that you can stand up next to your Cup Animal. Students could write a story about their new creation or list some facts about the animal.

The only hard part is trying to figure out which one is my favourite. Look out for a second set, I am already planning.....

Click HERE to find them in our TeachersPayTeachers store.

More Scrappy + Some Popcorn

I am pleasantly surprised to learn that I am not the only one quite partial to the word 'scrappy'.. I must come up with a list of my top favourite words. I am a words-kinda-girl. The written word particularly. I think 12 years teaching K-2 have put the breaks on my use of them though. I tried to play boggle on my i-phone the other day. 99% of my words were cvc words. The other 1% were ccvc words. O the shame. I need to teach adults for a while, perhaps my once-quite-wide vocabulary would be reinstated. My daily word use has narrowed further, now that I am on maternity leave. Little man 11weeks hears be babbling on with "mumumumumu" and "dadadadadadad" and the occasional "bububububububub".

Click on the image above to download another scrappy border. You can use it on your classroom resources, or resources you sell/give away provided you give a credit in your document - like this:
"Graphics From the Pond -"
Too easy!

My latest resource file is called 'Pop Measure'. It combines two fun things - popcorn and using the equal arm balance. Did you love using a pan balance when you were at school? I did. And we only got to use it once or twice a year. I understand now as a teacher, that this must have been when 'measurement' came up in the text book!

I purchased an equal arm balance for my home, so that my children could have unlimited use and play with one. Why wait for a turn at school? He he ;)

The benefit for me got me to thinking....... And 'Pop Measure' was born!

First I asked my daughter to take a handful or corn kernels and count them. Well, to make it easier, we grouped them into little piles of ten on this popcorn-themed counting mat. We then found the total.

The we counted out the same number of kernels for the other side. We found that they do not weigh the same! Must be the different size and shape of each kernel we hypothesised! We then added more kernels to one side, so the two bowls weighed the same.

We then did the best bit - popped one side of the kernels, put them back on the balance - and found that the weight was again, different!

I explained to my daughter that is was because each kernel contained water that vaporised when it popped - hence the lighter weight.

We then tried to find as many little object sets that we could, and found our how many of each it took to balance out with the kernels. We were surprised - only 4 cubes for 82 kernels!

Here is the little book that I have included in the file for your students. My daughter is too young, she just enjoyed the "experiment" part. They would be perfect however for Kinder-Grade 2. On each page the students would draw and write their predictions and observations....

In the classroom, you could do this "lesson" over a few days or a week, rather than all in one session. Click HERE to find it!