Peas and Carrots - An Addition Game

 
Are you crazy for carrots at the moment? I am ALL about the carrot for some reason, and what goes better with carrots than peas?!

Today, I teamed them up in this activity to bring a healthy influence to your Easter and maths activities this week!

You can click on the image above and download the printable-pieces for this cute little addition activity FREE.



This activity will help your students see addition as two parts making a whole number. It is possible to play this game without printing a thing! Just use green and orange counters/chips and any existing numeral cards that you have in your classroom.
 
 
This is how my recent carrot obsession started around a month ago. LOVE!
 

And yesterday, I saw these plates on sale for $3 on sale.

These ones were too nice to pass up, they have cute little frogs on them!

If you don't have any - don't worry - I have included a 'printable plate' template in the file.
 
Print the peas, carrots and numeral cards in the file. I want this game for numbers up to 20 - but you can modify it for different needs in your classroom - go up to 30, or down to 10. I laminated mine.
 
 
Put the peas and carrots into a container. Any will do, but I HAD to use my carrot basket!
 
 
Ask your student to take a small handful from the basket. If you don't think your students could do this without a fuss, get them to roll a dice or spin a spinner to determine the number to take.

The student then sorts the peas and carrots onto their plate.
 
 
Finds the total, and labels it with a numeral card.
 
The student can then record the number sum on their worksheet!
 
Easy - PEAsy! He he!
 
 
If you need a cute and simple paper craft for Easter, I just listed this in our store today!
 
 
And a new addition to our Printable Writing Books set
 
 
We have listed all our titles so far, in a BIG BUNDLE, as so many people asked us to bundle them. I will continue to add all the new titles to this bundle.