SaveSave

Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Peas and Carrots - An Addition Game

 
Are you crazy for carrots at the moment? I am ALL about the carrot for some reason, and what goes better with carrots than peas?!
 
Today, I teamed them up in this activity to bring a healthy influence to your Easter and maths activities this week!
 
You can click on the image above and download the printable-pieces for this cute little addition activity FREE.
 
 
 
This activity will help your students see addition as two parts making a whole number. It is possible to play this game without printing a thing! Just use green and orange counters/chips and any existing numeral cards that you have in your classroom.
 
 
This is how my recent carrot obsession started around a month ago. LOVE!
 
 
And yesterday, I saw these plates on sale for $3 on sale.
 
My Aussie friends - grab some in the baby section at Woolworth's this week! I have been looking for some ever since I saw this wonderful pin by Tara West on Pinterest
These ones were too nice to pass up, they have cute little frogs on them!
 
If you don't have any - don't worry - I have included a 'printable plate' template in the file.
 
Print the peas, carrots and numeral cards in the file. I want this game  for numbers up to 20 - but you can modify it for different needs in your classroom - go up  to 30, or down to 10. I laminated mine.
 
 
Put the peas and carrots into a container. Any will do, but I HAD to use my carrot basket!
 
 
Ask your student to take a small handful from the basket. If you don't think your students could do this without a fuss, get them to roll a dice or spin a spinner to determine the number to take.
 
The student then sorts the peas and carrots onto their plate.
 
 
Finds the total, and labels it with a numeral card.
 
The student can then record the number sum on their worksheet!
 
Easy - PEAsy! He he!
 
 
If you need a cute and simple paper craft for Easter, I just listed this in our store today!
 
 
And a new addition to our Printable Writing Books set
 
 
We have listed all our titles so far, in a BIG BUNDLE, as so many people asked us to bundle them. I will continue to add all the new titles to this bundle.
 
 
Be sure to check out my friend Tania's  How Pintersting (Easter) post, for more great Easter ideas!
Stef has a great new Sunday Showcase post, and she has found some more cute ideas to share!
And if you want MORE great math games, look no further than Alison's Math Game Monday post!
 
So much to look, see and do! What did we ever do before teaching blogs!
 
I hope you are having a wonderful week my friends!



3 comments:

Mrs Ward said...

A good reason to start liking peas, Mel!! Thanks for another great resource from the pond.
x Jody

Jeannine said...

These items are just too stinkin' cute! Great use for those plates! Thanks for sharing!

Jeannine
Creative Lesson Cafe

forkin4th said...

Just stopping by as I'm always inspired by your cute creations! I would be honored if you would assist me in my upcoming giveaway. I'm planning to celebrate my birthday month and gaining 200 blog followers! If you're able to contribute, please shoot me an email at rivas423@gmail.com with a snapshot of your product and/or your blog button so I can send them over to visit your page as well! Anything end-of-the-year, May-themed, or just stinkin' cute would be great!
:)
Antonia @ forkin4th