Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Organizing Games and Resources

 
I got more organised today! Well I 'prettied up' my games cupboard! And that will help me stay more organised!
 
I had a goal to have all my printable games and resources for teaching printed, laminated and sorted before the end of my maternity leave. I have readjusted that goal, and made it 'by the end of my PART TIME maternity leave. That should give me a few years! I was shocked to find  6219 files on my computer. Granted, many are old and need to be deleted. But ... what. a. job.!
 
This is just one cupboard. I have 3 so far. Here is how it looked before...
 
 
 
And here she is now. So pretty! Ok, the colours will bug me a little until I make them consistent, but this is a work-in-progress. I have only done Mathematics so far, and am headed to my English resources later this week or next.
 
 
 
I love these boxes, as after years of trying many different methods, this has been the easiest. Often I just leave the lids off, so I can quickly access the contents. I like that the boxes are large enough to hold quite a few laminated resource packets, but small enough that I do not struggle to lift and manoeuvre them - to the classroom and around the classroom. They are very portable, with a carry handle on the top. These babies stay at home with me, the boxes and contents are 100% paid by me, and lets face it, I would never have this much storage in my classroom.
 
 
 
Inside each box, I have my resources, activities and games ready in individual pouches. Sometimes, my resources will cover 2 categories. I make a judgement call on which box to keep it in, and stick a post-it on the inside of the other box to remind myself that I have another resource ready in another location.
 
 
If you would like to make some box labels like these, you can download the ones I made HERE for free! They are for your personal use only and may not be re-distributed. If you know someone else that would like them, please send them here to my blog.
 
If you need different words/categories on your labels, shoot me a message, I will try to find some time to add more to the collection.
 
I will post again after I do my English and Classroom Management boxes!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
 
 


17 comments:

Stefanie Galvin said...

Totally downloading your labels! I wish I was this organised!

Stef

~brookeb~ said...

Loving those boxes. Where are they from?

Julie Stowe said...

So neat, so tidy, so organised...I like your style!

Christine said...

Wow! Love the hanging file idea! Where did you find those wonderful containers?

Christine

leapingintothird.blogspot.com

Lita Lita said...

I love reading organization posts. I wish I could stay organized... :)

Mel - From the Pond said...

I got the boxes from Officeworks Brooke :) Originally BIg W but they stopped stocking them.
Stef - this has taken me 12 years! It took some time ;)
They are 'hanging file' boxes, but I don't put the actual files in there, just document pouches. They fit very nice :)

Indiana said...

Love the boxes and the labels! I have brought home a lot of my resources because of lack of storage space at school and as you say ,they were made and paid for by me.
They are currently taking up a lot of floor space at home because up until now, I haven't been able to find anything in Australia that would work for storage. Like you, I have them in document pouches. Again, thank you so much for this post.

Indiana said...

Love the boxes and the labels! I have brought home a lot of my resources because of lack of storage space at school and as you say ,they were made and paid for by me.
They are currently taking up a lot of floor space at home because up until now, I haven't been able to find anything in Australia that would work for storage. Like you, I have them in document pouches. Again, thank you so much for this post.

Ms. Cranfill said...

You're so organized! Getting more organized is one of my summer goals--hopefully I'll reach it!

Ms. Cranfill's Class

Casey said...

I need to stop in at Officeworks and get some of these boxes! I currently have ALL of my maths games in one drawer and it's impossible to find what I need.

Casey
Lifelong Learners in Prep

Mel - From the Pond said...

Thanks everyone - these are the boxes!

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/File-Organisation/Document-Storage/Carry-File-Cases/AC8007799

Yes, I have spent a small fortune, but I ask for Kikki K and Officeworks gift vouchers for my birthday and Christmas - yes nothing delights me more than office supplies! He he he!

Donna Boucher said...

This is crazy amazing! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs tomorrow!

Donna
Math Coach’s Corner

Shelly said...

Love it!
Thanks for sharing.

Melanie Morgan said...

I love, love, love these! Unfortunately, I couldn't find the tubs in the U.S. but I am determined to find some similar! I love your organizational skills!

Only because you mentioned you may not mind adding words, revising,etc. would you be willing to add one for fractions, one for probability, and one for measurement?

Thanks in advance!
Melanie
melaniemorgan.edd@gmail.com

Kim @ Mrs. Hs Resource Room said...

I love these containers. They are so uniform and tidy looking. The labels look great on them. Looks like a new summer project!

Kim
Mrshsresourceroom.blogspot.com

Literacy Lady said...

Melanie, I found these at OfficeMax. Just wanted to let you know!

starteacher said...

Where do you get the materials/games to put in the ELA and Math boxes? Do you get them from TPT? Do you make the games? Is there a special place you have downloaded the games from? i am looking for games so I can implement math and language arts centers during readers and writers workshop. Thanks in advance.