Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Building a Positive Classroom

Photobucket
 
Teachers here in Australia are beginning to think about the return to the classroom for a brand spanking new year.
 
Although many thoughts about room set up, resources, name cards, programs and plans will be running through your mind, you will be no doubt thinking about how to create your classroom atmosphere. Get a group of experienced teachers talking on this and and you will be stuck for hours! Every classroom has a different one, with different rules, personalities and standards. Kind of like blogs in a way! The image above outlines a few of the things I keep in mind when I am establishing my classroom. It is not an exhaustive list and just what I have learnt from trial and error over 12 years. I like to run my blog with the same values.
 
What things are important to you when establishing an 'atmosphere'. 

I just revised one of my first addition games I made for From the Pond - 'Addition Race'. It always feels good to have a freshen up!

Click on the image below to find it at Teachers Notebook or HERE to find it at TpT!

 

4 comments:

Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey said...

I would agree with all of the above especially 4. Be consistent and 8. Teach social skills EXPLICITLY

As a Grade One Teacher I would also add... Teach rules and routines EXPLICITLY.
Sometimes we assume young children should know what to do if they know what a rule is. But often they need to be shown what 'work quietly' and other rules look/sound like. Not to mention being shown how to glue pages into a scrapbook!!

Learning is Rosey with Mrs Josey

Mel - From the Pond said...

That is SO true, I agree, thank you so much for stopping by :)

Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts said...

I love these! Thanks for sharing :)

~Stephanie
3rd Grade Thoughts

Rebecca Young said...

Hi mel,
I love the beginning of a new school year, I get excited when back to school stuff comes out in the supermarket!

I agree with all of your points above. I also like organisation, for me, my classroom and the kids. I also take a lot of time to sit and chat with my kids in a way that is informal.

Thanks also for the freebie paper yesterday.
We have cyclone narelle on her way so relief from the bush fires and constant heat here in the pilbara.
Stay cool!


Rebecca