Someone Say Carrot?

Not sure what it is about this time of year, but I start becoming a teeny bit obsessed with carrots. It might be seeing those delicious and cute Lindt chocolate carrots in the shops ready for Easter. Maybe it's the bright bold combination of orange and green.

Hmmm... this year, it may just happen to be because my cute-alicious 2 year old boy just started saying 'cawat' at dinner time. Yum. I could eat him up!

I made this 'carrot craft' today, as I wanted to share a freebie with my fabulous Facebook friends, and would love my bloggy friends to have it too!

It is perfect for Australian kinders (in their first few months of school) because it has nice big fat lines that are easy to cut. I am sure Kinder teachers out there are all nodding when I say we need EASY cutting for the first few months! This carrot becomes a great activity to get those scissor skills developed!

They can cut on a line for the carrot top and bottom.

The can 'freehand cut' a black circle for the mouth.


Provide them with a thin strip of white paper and teach them to 'snip'. It is important that they learn the difference between cutting and snipping. Tell them that to snip, we use the front of our scissors. We keep our fingers away from the edge to be snipped. Get the to 'snip' all the way down the strip of paper to make crazy carrot teeth!


I provided a writing prompt so that older students could enjoy this activity to - of course, the focus of your lesson would be (cough, cough), on the writing component.

Head over to TpT to find this flash freebie!


Last year, I blogged about a carrot game for working on number. It is FREE too!


Find my original blog post HERE

Or download it straight from TpT HERE

I also have another game for addition, this time with peas and carrots. Find it at TpT by clicking on the image below:

See, I told you. Carrot crazy I am.

Thank you so much for stopping by and joining me in my love of orange today!