Square Dog Craft

One of the very first math crafts I made for you here on the blog is still available. This one is very special to me so I wanted to remind you of it and leave it largely unchanged, even though it is a little different than how I would make it today. It takes me back very clearly to a very particular moment in my first dedicated From the Pond workspace and all the excitement of being able to make for you more freely and creatively. I remember the music that was playing, the tea I was drinking, and the excitement I felt for the future of From the Pond!
square dog math craft
It is still free both on the original post and here and I have created some additional printable pieces for you in case you would like to put together a display in your classroom and encourage some math discussion!

square craft
Use pencil or crayons - or paint them! Water colors are great because they dry fast.
math crafts
Students will cut, arrange the shapes and glue into position. They can use a crayon to add extra detail. 
Talk to your students about the shapes they have used - squares, circles and half-circles.

  • count the shapes
  • arrange them in an array and count the rows and columns
  • talk about symmetry
  • encourage the students to make other pictures using simple squares and circle - use pattern blocks too  


I hope you love making square dogs with your little ones!