SaveSave

Friday, 1 June 2012

How to teach phonics and word attack!

Quite a few people have asked me over my time, how I teach phonics, sounds, work attack, spelling etc As many teachers know, this is a complicated question, and often different for every student. I have devised a sequence of difficulty (and often and order for explicit teaching) of the groups, or stages of teaching in these areas. Often I notice that my students are accessing the different difficulty levels at the same time, especially clever students who are naturally good at reading and writing activities.

It gives me a good guide for explicit teaching, and I mostly go through the difficulty levels from top to bottom. At times, my teaching program may need to jump around the levels to cater for different abilities. When I teach Jolly Phonics in my classroom, I am accessing quite a few of the levels at the same time.

I also tend to organise my resources in this levelled way, and create them for From the Pond in this way. My Sound Set resource, for example, has a game for each of the first levels. I am currently revising the graphics for these games and hope to add more games for some of the levels not covered.

I have made my very boring typed notes, into a visual representation - I hope you may be able to use it, or perhaps give the link to a new teacher that is wondering how do I teach phonics

Click on the image below to download from google docs

 

8 comments:

Ms.Trinh said...

Thank you for making that so clear! PLUS..I love the frog theme!

The Teacher Tattles

Lisa R. said...

I love your poster as visual reminders for word attack. Thanks for the poster and all of the helpful tips!!

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Jennifer K. said...

I love that poster as a resource! It would be great to share with parents at the beginning of the year too so they can see all that we will be learning and what their child is responsible for! (It's not "just" kindergarten lol!)

Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

Melanie - From the Pond said...

What a great idea Jennifer! I might make it in black/white to help with photocopying.....stay tuned :)

Melanie - From the Pond said...

What a great idea Jennifer! I might make it in black/white to help with photocopying.....stay tuned :)

meadowt said...

This is exactly how I teach phonics too. We use the Literacy First Process. This is a much cuter organizer to have on hand. Thanks for sharing.
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Pamela Fulk said...

I absolute loved your Pop Measure unit! I did it with my firsties the second to last day of school and they were actively engaged in learning and having so much fun! I blogged about it today on my blog.
Here is a link to the post.
Pop Measure and Gold Medalists
Pamela
First Class Teacher

GiveYourBaby AChance said...

Phonics is considered an essential tool in teaching kids to read and is widely used by parents and teachers alike. I have used the program to school my two kids with encouraging results. http://educationalplay.info

Regards
Dani Rren