How to teach phonics and word attack!

I have devised a sequence for introducing sounds.

Often I notice that my students are accessing the different difficulty levels at the same time, especially clever students who are naturally good at reading and writing activities.

This order gives me a good guide for explicit teaching, and I mostly go through the difficulty levels from 1 to 9. At times, my teaching program may need to jump around the levels to cater for different abilities. When I teach Jolly Phonics in my classroom, I am accessing quite a few of the levels at the same time as once a few single sounds are introduced that program encourages blending immediately. 

I also tend to organise my resources in this levelled way, and create them for From the Pond in this way. 

My Sound Set for example, has a game for each of the first levels. I am currently revising the graphics for these games and hope to add more games for some of the levels not covered.

I have made my very boring typed notes, into a visual representation - I hope you may be able to use it, or perhaps give the link to a new teacher that is wondering how do I teach phonics?


I would love to share this poster with you via Google Drive: Word Attack Skills