SaveSave

Saturday, 30 May 2015

Wombat Writing


Hi friends! Many of you are wrapping up school for the year - lucky you! Here in Australia we are quickly approaching the half-way point! Deep breath.

So this happened a lot this week. Reading. I have an eight year old who devours about 10 books a day. I am most proud of the variety of books she reads. Picture books still capture her heart and I am so glad. I feel that although we read many of these stories when she was a toddler, a more comprehensive understanding of the story and the subtext is only developing now that she has a more detailed understanding of the world. 

Wombat Stew was pulled off the shelf when my teaching friend Shanyn gave a shout out for any sequencing activities associated with the story. I had one but it needed a freshen up - so I quickly did that and uploaded it to google drive for her. 

I am very happy to share it with you too. Your students can write some details from each step in the story. Dingo is attempting to make a 'delicious' wombat stew for himself, and the Australian bush animals step in to 'assist'. 


Your students can shade the pictures and sequence them before writing something for each stage. 



I also added some additional pictures in the file which you could enlarge on your copier to do a class sequencing activity before the writing lesson. 


Find this 'Stew Sequencing' file in Google Drve HERE

I have also started some Australian Animal writing toppers for my TpT store. Here is a wombat one which will nicely accompany any story book about wombats. 




You can find it in my TpT store HERE

I started a classroom/teacher blog today where I have approval to share some lesson ideas from my classroom! I am beyond excited. If you would like to follow head over HERE to check it out. It still needs a little work, but I am excited to have place to share some more of my teaching journey!

Thank you so much for stopping by today - have a great day friends!

2 comments:

Kinderkay said...

Hi Mel!
You know I love everything that you do and I love this Wombat project! By the way, I headed over to your new visual arts blog and tried to make a comment, but couldn't find the place to do it? I love the idea of an Arts blog... You are in my heart, my friend!

Cindy

Mel FromthePond said...

Thank you so much Cindy! Cant wait to meet you! :)