Organization!

Blog Hoppin' wants to know teachers' best tips for staying organized and why it works - for Why Wednesday!

I did a post in 2012 about 'cleaning the clutter' to share some things that work for me - you can read about it HERE

My 'Core Drawers' is also the system that has the biggest impact on my teaching.



For me, a 'system' is essential. It doesn't really matter how you choose to stay organized, and what methods you use, the key is to make it systematic. Think of a 'way' that suits you, and stick to it. If you have a personal rule or procedure about how to deal with things in the classroom, and you repeatedly follow and reinforce it, you will be 'organized'! Sounds easy enough, doesn't it!?

Another key tip I have, is to be mindful of lists. I DO love lists, and planners, diaries and so forth, but they may not work for you unless you do a little pre-organzing. 

What?! I hear you say?! Well, for me, these written types of organisation work best if I spend at least a week or two, with a blank, clear slate. 

I start the day on a whim, and I write down everything that I DO. Rather than what I want to do, or need to do, or aspire  to achieve. I just start, and keep track.

By the end of a week or two, you will naturally start to identify patterns and priorities, and it makes planning a WHOLE lot easier. With good plans, you can be organised. 

A sheet like this is a good way of keeping track of your 'do's' - or even just a timetable grid or diary style recording sheet. YOU can click on the image below to download this from google drive.

On each section, you can write a different aspect of your day/routine/job that you are trying to get organized. Keep it on  your desk and keep note of everything you actually do, and maybe even how long you spend doing it. Keep this going for a week or two.

A good side effect of this 'pre organisation' is that you will get a realistic picture of what is chewing up your time, what effect it has on your productivity, and how realistic you can be when you make your organisational list for the week. 

When you are ready you can also use it  to write a list of things that you would actually like to do in the week, and check them off as you do them! 



For more organisation tips, head over to Blog Hoppin!


Thanks so much for stopping by!