Ladybug Multiplication



My daughter and I made these cute Ladybugs today. She was keen to do some craft work after many hours of playing with plastic Christmas presents, and I was keen to continue on with my work on multiplication.


First I traced a ladybug template 4 times - if you want a template shape, you can download one HERE . I used the back of a 2011 calendar that had nice thick card - thin card will end up curling.

I have just bought my new Kikki K calender for 2012 and kept the thick card backing for our craft cupboard when I took the old one down. 

L-O-V-E  Kikki K - especially during this lets-get-organised time of the year! And my wonderful husband gave me a gift voucher for Christmas...bliss.....

My daughter tore pieces of red tissue paper into small pieces - great for her fine motor. We then covered the template outlines with paste, and set about covering the whole shape with torn paper pieces. She almost gave up, but we got there!


Here is our red covered ladybugs. I did not cut the card first. The paper pieces will overlap the curved lines, so I thought cutting after they are covered will allow the edges to be smooth.



We then pasted big googly-eyes onto the tops of each ladybug, with PVA glue this time.


We then cut circles of shiny silver paper and pasted 4 onto each ladybug's body.


To the back of each ladybug, we attached a bent silver pipe-cleaner with tape.


We turned the ladybugs back, and bent the pipe cleaners to make the antlers.




This is how I would use the ladybugs in my classroom multiplication program. I have just attached them to a string to create a mobile and stuck a flashcard to the bottom with a multiplication sum that matches the dots on the ladybugs. I would hang them from the ceiling to make the room gorgeous and also to help the students learn to visualise multiplication.  

It would be a great classroom activity to complement my "Bug Times Write'n'Wipe Cards".


This file will allow you to make these cute maths center activity cards. You have to print, and laminate the cards before students se whiteboard markers to solve the multiplication problems on them.
They need to identify and total the number of dots on each ladybug card before writing it with a dry erase marker.

Included in this file is 15 cards (4x5, 4x4, 4x3, 4x2, 4x1, 3x5, 3x4, 3x3, 3x2, 3x1, 2x5, 2x4, 2x3, 2x2, 2x1).


I have also included templates for students to make their own ladybug craftivity!



If you would like to see this file, find it HERE at TPT

What a great day - I love holidays!