Sunday, 19 June 2011

Odd and Even Numbers

Hi blog friends!

Last Sunday I posted some printable cards to help teach children how to determine more/less and the concept of greater/fewer.

I am following on from these lessons and extending my students to think about odd and even numbers.

First I will explain the terms "odd" and "even" to my class, then get a few students to stand up in a group. i will ask this group to hold hands with one friend in the group. I will be able to illustrate quite clearly that with an even numbered group, everyone gets a partner.

I can then illustrate this further with an egg carton - by tearing off individual cups and talking about even numbers having rows of two (or "partners").

I will then show the students the cards that I used for my more/less lessons and point out that the even  numbers all have rows of two, and the odd numbers have a square that is all on its own at the end (no partner).

Hopefully this gradual progression from real life example to abstract will assist with their understanding and help them to make connections in their knowledge.

The class should enjoy using a range of concrete materials (shells, counters, plastic teddies, plastic dinosaurs) to make numbers. I will ask them to put them in lines of two to determine if they are odd or even.

I will also introduce these posters that I have just made to the class and have a talk about the number of eyes on the monsters. Are they odd or even? I could ask a student to colour the eyes in groups of two, so that each pair is a different colour. This will help the students to see that with the odd numbers, their is one left at the end that does not have a partner. Download your own copy of these posters here, by clicking on the picture below.


I have also found some cool games and resources on TpT. You may like to check them out as well :)

I hope you will find these posters helpful, if not this week, perhaps at another time that you teach about odd and even numbers.




5 comments:

Mrs. Coe said...

Thanks for sharing. By the way those are the cutest buttons around. I love that TpT one! Hey-stop by and join the fun giveaway!

littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

jessica.peck said...

Thanks for participating in the contest! Looking forward to checking out your blog.

maypop said...

Your blog looks great!Thanks for participating in the big giveaway.

Lauren LaRae said...

Wow! This is such an awesome freebie!

Thank you for being so generous!

Melanie - From the Pond said...

No worries :) I like sharing and am so glad you like them!